In the S.W.D.D Spotlight
No Curbside Services on Thanksgiving Day!
There will be no curbside recycling, garbage, and yard waste collection service on Thursday, November 26 in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday. The County Landfill and all Customer Convenience Centers will also be closed.
Recycling customers scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 26 will be serviced on Friday, Nov. 27. Recycling customers scheduled for Friday, Nov. 27 will be serviced on Saturday, Nov. 28.
Garbage and Yard Waste Services
- Town of Orchid: No change
- Indian River Shores: Garbage pick up for Thursday, Nov. 26 will be serviced on Monday, Nov. 30.
- City of Vero Beach: No Garbage pick up for Thursday, Nov. 26 or Friday, Nov. 27. Curbside service will resume as normal the following week.
- City of Sebastian: Garbage pick up scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 26 will be serviced on Wednesday, Nov. 25. Yard Waste service scheduled on Wednesday, Nov. 25 will be picked up on Wednesday, Dec. 2.
- Fellsmere and Unincorporated IRC: Garbage and yard waste pick up scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 26 will be serviced on Friday, Nov. 27. Garbage and yard waste pick up scheduled for Friday, Nov. 27 will be serviced on Saturday, Nov. 28.
Public Notice Regarding the Garbage/Recycling Transition:
- On April 21, 2015 the County entered into a Solid Waste and Recyclables Collection Franchise Agreement with Waste Management of Florida, Inc.
- Your collection days and/or your service provider may have changed. Visit the Find My Pickup Day App to look up your service information.
- We ask that residents put their garbage and recycling out on their new collection days.
- If for some reason you do not have a blue recycling cart, please call Waste Management at 772-569-1776.
- Remember that the new single stream recycling means that sorting recyclables is no longer necessary. Recycling pick up is also included in residents’ annual solid waste assessment, so there is no additional charge to use your recycling cart! Learn more about Recycling
Statement of Function
The County's solid waste system is an organized dependent special district known as Indian River County Solid Waste Disposal District (SWDD). The purpose of the Refuse Disposal Division under SWDD is to operate five Customer Convenience Centers (CCC’s) around the County and transport materials delivered to these centers by county residents to the landfill site for recycling and/or disposal. The five countywide CCC’s provide collection points for the residents to deliver municipal solid waste, yard trash, household hazardous waste and various recyclable materials. SWDD then transports these materials to the landfill for ultimate disposition to maintain the health and well being of the community and environment.
2014/2015 Goals and Objectives
• Complete road and building improvements to protect SWDD assets.
• Initiate design and permitting for the cap and closure of Segment I, Infill and Segment II landfill.
• Renew the Landfill Class I Operating Permit.
• Renew the Landfill Environmental Resource Permit.
• Update the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan and the Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Plan.
• Continue to maintain environmental compliance of the entire landfill site in accordance with the requirements of the site’s various permits.