In the S.W.D.D Spotlight
Upcoming Residential Recycling Events
- Summer Electronics and Household Hazardous Waste Recycling Event
(June 9, 2018 in South County) Recycle old computers, monitors, paint cans, household cleaning chemicals and more! Join us at the IRC Intergenerational Recreation Center at 1590 9th St SW in Vero Beach from 9 am to 12 pm. View a list of acceptable Items.
Indian River County Cart Program
Please take a moment to watch this brief informational video to ensure you receive maximum service
Statement of Function
The County's solid waste system is an organized dependent special district known as Indian River County Solid Waste Disposal District (SWDD). The purpose of the Refuse Disposal Division under SWDD is to operate five Customer Convenience Centers (CCC's) around the County and transport materials delivered to these centers by county residents to the landfill site for recycling and/or disposal. The five county wide CCC's provide collection points for the residents to deliver municipal solid waste, yard trash, household hazardous waste and various recyclable materials. SWDD then transports these materials to the landfill for ultimate disposition to maintain the health and well being of the community and environment.
2017/2018 Goals and Objectives
- Complete road and building improvements to protect SWDD assets.
- Initiate design & permitting for the cap and closure of Segment I, Infill and Segment II landfill.
- Initiate the design, bidding and construction of a small vehicle drop-off area and a new household hazardous waste building
- Continue to maintain environmental compliance of the entire landfill site in accordance with the requirements of the site's various permits.